5.01.2009

In sickness and in health

I might need to review my marriage vows...

Both Jeff and I hate to clean. We enjoy living in a tidy environment, but the actual process of cleaning is one that we both avoid. Here's our conversation from this morning, just after coffee.

Jeff: Hey, do you have bug bites on you?

Me: No.

Jeff: I do. On my stomach and ankles and they're really itchy. I wonder if there was a bug that got me during the night.

Me: No, I've got nothing. Say, can we come up with a division of labor for the cleaning today?

Jeff: skeptically Okay...

Me: Okay, you do the entire kitchen and our bathroom and I'll do the 2 guest rooms, the guest bathrooms, the living room and vacuum. But I don't want anything to do with the kitchen.

Jeff: (without hesitation) Deal.

Time passes peacefully as we both work on our tasks. About 45 minutes later, I hear:

Jeff: Hey, I think I'm having an allergic reaction...

Me: To cleaning?

Jeff: No, to this medicine. He lifted his shirt to reveal 3765 tiny red hives all over him. I think I'm going to have to take Benadryl (a tiny hint of a smile started to form as he continued) and that's going to make me sleepy... (no attempt to mask his smile)

Me: huge sigh Oh, crap. If you think this is getting you out of cleaning the kitchen...

Jeff: You kind of suck.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hahaha! I can totally hear both your voices in my head saying all this, too.