10.26.2008

It was a little sad, actually

I just got back from Sam's Club.

Right inside the door, after you show the greeter your membership card, there is a huge display of giant flat-screen plasma TVs. They reminded me of those gently glowing bug lights both because of the bluish glow and the effect they had on the men entering Sam's.

It was actually difficult to maneuver my cart through the aisle because of all of the men that had been drawn to the display, who were all wearing that sort of dazed and happy look on their faces. Many of them were accompanied by their wives who had taken over cart duty and were simultaneously trying to push their carts forward with one hand and grab their husbands by the elbow with the other.

Other wiser, more experienced women just continued into the store, completely ignoring their husbands altogether assuming they would eventually catch up. As I was just about to clear the display area, a man whipped around in my direction and said,

"Marywehavetohavethisdoyouseehowclearthepictureiswesoneedthisforthegame," all in one breath. He looked a little bewildered, looking at me, as he realized his wife was not there.

"Oh," I said, "I think she went off that way," as I pointed toward the aisles where the giant-sized cleaning supplies were kept.

"Oh. Thanks." Eyes downcast, shoulders hunched, he shuffled off in that direction.

No comments: