12.06.2008

And then they kicked the Sugar Plum Fairy's ass...

Today in my Young Musicians classes we talked about ballet, specifically The Nutcracker, as the season is upon us. First we listened to the dances on a CD and made up our own choreography and then we watched a video of the ballet.

When we got to Waltz of the Flowers, out came 10 ballerinas in fluffy layers of ankle-length pink tulle followed by 2 ballerinas in purple.

"Oooh....," said the girls collectively.

"Pink's my favorite color!" they cried.

"They're so beautiful!"

"I want to be a ballerina, too!"

Just then the ballerinas made a large circle as one more ballerina, dressed all in white, slipped into the the middle. The pastel-colored group fluttered around Dew Drop, their pointe shoes moving rapidly.

"What do you think is going to happen?..." I whispered to the group.

"They're going to fight!" said a little boy.

I laughed at the thought of 13 tulle-clad ballerinas duking it out on stage, and laughed a little harder at that boy's fervent hope that something interesting was finally about to happen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so going to think of this blog post when I'm playing Nutcracker this weekend! :)