8.20.2008

Where have all the good clothes gone?

I just got back from some retail therapy... bad news, people. There simply are no good clothes for fall. Pull out the old stand-bys from last year, because trust me, even if they're faded or a little pilled under the arms, they're probably still better than what I saw today.

Here is a list of problems encountered this afternoon.
  1. The no. 1 problem plaguing the fall fashion line-up can be summed up in this question I overheard in two different dressing rooms in two different stores: "Does this shirt make me look pregnant?" I mean seriously, does every single shirt have to have an empire waist with a voluminous bottom half? Do the fashion designers of the world have no faith in American women and have thus determined that the best way of dealing with a little unwanted padding around the middle is to simply borrow the tried-and-true pattern from their good friends in maternity wear?
  2. Unless your name is Anne and you hail from Green Gables, you might find the puffed sleeve trend a little disturbing. Actually, Anne is currently sporting at least 2 of fall's heavy-hitting trends, the aforementioned puffed sleeves, and the ruffled bodice. Another terrible idea if you have anything over what, a B cup?
  3. My final gripe with this year's fall fashion is the cropped round-button 3/4-sleeve boxy jacket. Here's how this one goes. The designers of the world united and said, "Let's take some beautiful wool, known for its fluid drape, and wrap it around your shoulders, buttoning at the neck so that the fabric lies over the largest part of your torso and then extends down in a straight line from there. Voila! Perfection!"
So, let's take a stand. If no one buys into any of these trends and the clothes stay on the shelves, perhaps they'll start making some reasonable clothes again and we can all get dressed without having a meltdown every single morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Exactly. Who are they making those boxy jackets for?!? Not flattering for a non-boxy body. I love the visual examples in your blog especially Anne.

little ms. notetaker said...

I love Anne of Green Gables. Remember how much she longed for those puffed sleeves and Marilla just would have none of it... what an impetuous girl that Anne.

Drats, I have to go shopping this weekend and now I'm a little bit dreading it.

Jessica said...

Yes, I love Anne, too. I loved when Matthew went to the store to buy the dress for her (so sweet) and now that I reflect on that scene from an older vantage point, I think the salesgirl may have thought Matthew was going to dress in drag...

Mel said...

your blog inspired my roomie and i to check out target, where we found 75% of the shirts and dresses were for pregos and 25% were for bubble shaped ladies. we struggled to find even 1 regular t-shirt!

Unknown said...

I swear that every time I watch What Not To Wear, they recommend that the woman getting made over get a shirt/dress with a wide empire-waist band and a bottom half that "floats away from the body." Yes, it's flattering on a lot of women, but it definitely increases the "is she or isn't she pregnant?" look.

And I swear my mom has a boxy jacket just like the one in the picture. I guess fashions really do come back around eventually.