8.16.2008

Workin' it

This afternoon was my first chance to attend the AquaBox class since that first day. Knowing that pool space is at a premium in this class (don't have to tell me twice!), I got there early. Many of the same ladies were there. This time, the nice lady who almost drowned suggested that she be in front of me from the start. Good idea.

So, there I was kind of hanging out by the wall warming up my arms as the other ladies chatted amongst themselves. One lady was mentioning that she hasn't been here the last few weeks because she was visiting her daughter in Arizona. The others were glad to see her again. There was discussion of weekend plans and grandchildren. And then the conversation turned, as it sometimes does when a group of women get together, to men.

"So, Dory, what are you doing this weekend?"

"Well, I'm actually, I'm going to have to leave class early today to get ready for this afternoon."

"Oh? What are you doing?"

"Well," she continued, lowering her voice and fluttering her eyelashes a little bit, "my friend is picking me up. We're going to dinner at the 21 Club."

"Ohhhhh!"

"Is this the same boy that you play chess with, Dory?" asked the third woman.

I stood there, respectfully looking at the walls around the pool, checking the clock, basically anything I could do so they wouldn't think I was listening -- but of course I was! Anyway, I was struck by the word 'boy'.

Blushing a little, Dory responded. "Yes." She quickly continued. "But, I don't think it's going to go anywhere for heaven's sake! He is 20 years younger than me."

I almost gasped out loud!

I'll admit, the first time I went to class, the ladies struck me as the kind who enjoyed coming to this class for a little workout and company and then went home and did grandmother-esque type things... like, bake cookies or visit their grandchildren or knit. But, apparently I had it all wrong. These ladies are working out for a reason. They are working out in order to work it! You go, girl!

I cocked my head a little more toward them because their conversation had gotten conspiratorially low.

"Dory," the woman floated a little closer, "you never know." And then she winked.

1 comment:

Mel said...

i like that she floated a little closer to wink.... actually i just like the fact that she floated!