7.07.2008

Lightness

I love the internet.

The other day I confirmed as a friend on Facebook an ex-boyfriend who caused me great pain in the past. It was just a matter of time, really. I had starting becoming friends with mutual friends and you know how Facebook lists "Jessica and Person X from her past are now friends," well, a couple days later in came this request.

I accepted. I admit, I was curious how he was doing 8 years later. (8 years after making me feel like the size of an ant...)

I saw he was engaged and it looked like life was going well for him. I sent him a post saying congratulations, glad to see things are going well.

The same day, he sent me a message telling me how excited he was about his fiance and upcoming wedding, and that life was good.

And then...,

He apologized.

It was amazing. The simple acknowledgement that he had hurt me, and he was sorry. I felt a weight that I didn't know I still had lift.

You know, you meet people and more frequently than not, they disappear from your life. And how you knew them is how they stay in your mind. I mean, I feel like I've changed quite a bit over the last 8 years, but whenever I thought of this person, all I would feel is the pain and embarrassment that I felt back then.

It seems that this person has changed, too.

No comments: