7.16.2008

MF seeks MF to become BFF

I've been browsing the personals on craigslist and I feel kind of strange doing it.

Here are two that caught my eye:

"Looking for tennis partner. Moderate skill level."

and

"I'm a young married woman looking for girls in their mid-20s to hang out with evenings."

Why am I looking at the personals? Here's the problem: I have no friends. Well, at least I have no friends that live within a 5 or 10 minute drive. Or heck, even a 50 minute drive. (Yes, of course, I have Jeff and he is the greatest friend I could have, but I'm talking girlfriends here)

Those two ads caught my eye because I'm looking for a tennis partner of moderate skill level and I'm looking for girls to hang out with that are young and fun. But, I'm a little reluctant. And a little bit shy and a little bit wary and a little bit chicken...

Here are some facts about living in Flint:
1. We have a beautiful house that we feel lucky to have every single day.
2. We enjoy our jobs.
3. There is no one my age that lives here. I'm not kidding.

I don't know. It feels a little desperate to answer an ad; besides, you never know what you're going to get. (I answered an ad once for a roommate in college and that turned out disastrously...)

Earlier this year, one of the girls in my top flute quartet told me "You're just as nerdy as my chemistry teacher!" My reply: "Really? Is she my age? We could probably be friends."

Recently I asked one of my adult students who's in her mid-40s about how I could meet people my age in the area. She suggested I have a kid and join a playgroup. Um, no.

It was so easy in grad school to find people of like interests and who shared similar ideas about what constituted a good time. The hard part was finding the time to actually hang out. Ah, those were the good ol' days.

So maybe I'll keep looking at the ads and who knows, I might answer one. After all, it's only tennis.

3 comments:

little ms. notetaker said...

I hear you, sista! It's so freakin' hard to make friends and I live in a large city surrounded by people my age.

I have a few friends that have answered craigslist ads and have actually made good friends out of it.

I say go for it. Just don't answer the casual encounter ads on there... that's a whole different game of tennis. Yikes.

Unknown said...

I wish I still lived near you! I feel like I have no friends out here in Dallas. I do get to see Laura maybe once a month on average, but that's about it.

Jon's made a ton of friends through his cycling organizations. Surely there are some tennis clubs/online forums with some people in their 20s for you to meet?

I've been thinking for a while that it would be cool to start a dinner club (my sister is in one), but so far I haven't found enough people here that might be interested.

Jessica said...

I wish you still lived near here, too!!! :(

A dinner club sounds oh so fun... we would definitely be into that. I hope you find some people who would like to do it.