7.02.2008

Retro... really???

I've noticed a disturbing trend lately...

Frequently I find myself driving to work around the lunch hour and will sometimes listen to the radio instead of NPR. I don't usually enjoy much of the music that's currently on the radio, but it seems that during the lunch hour, they play music that I like, that I can sing along with. Yesterday as I was driving to work, the DJ came on and said "You're listening to the retro lunch on CK-105."

I almost crashed into the car in front of me. Since when did my favorite songs (read "I") become retro?!! And why wasn't I informed? What is the magic age of retro-ness?

Also yesterday I was talking to my dear sweet sister, who is in her early 20s. She was telling me how she and her boyfriend were watching old episodes of Friends on DVD. When Friends was on the air, she was a lot younger and always thought "wow, they're so cool! I can't wait until I'm older!" Apparently my sister had an epiphany yesterday while watching and thought "wow... Jess is way older than them" and then TOLD me that while we were chatting.

One final anecdote on this disturbing line... I was watching Wimbledon recently (you know, trying to pick up a few tips now that we're playing tennis) and Federer and some guy who wasn't Federer were playing. The announcers were discussing how this man came to tennis later in life (9 years old) and how at 32 this was his first Wimbledon.

My thought: "Wow, he's old."

1 comment:

Mel said...

oh man, aging is hilarious!
actually, your aging is hilarious!